Sunday, June 24, 2012

I can do this.

My welcome home party was last night and it was beautiful! Thank you so much to those of you who came out. A big special thanks to Tad for hosting it, to Becky & Thinh for the cake and flowers, and to Mom for babysitting Sydney. If I wasn't cheery at times, it was because I'd received my pathology results 45 minutes before.

I had a grade 3 tumor, Dr. Weingart said. This was not good news. All of the neurosurgeons and radio oncologists that had looked at my scans -- at Emory, Duke, UCSF, Peachtree Neurosurgery, and Johns Hopkins -- independently said it appeared low-grade. Grade 3 is high-grade.

Typically, folks with grade 3s are automatically given radiation and chemotherapy. But my case is a little unique. Dr. Weingart is taking my case to his tumor board on Monday to discuss it further. He was surprised my path came back as grade 3 when all indications were grade 2 (slow-growing, defined borders, etc.). He said there is some overlap in how grade 2s and grade 3s behave and mine was likely to behave as a grade 2.

We're still waiting on some information to determine next steps, but this I know for sure: I'm going to be OK. I keep hearing God say, "Kim, trust Me." I do. I can do this.

Regardless of what we hear from Pathology at Johns Hopkins in the coming week, we're getting a second opinion at UCSF thanks to my "cousin" Gretchen Werner. And a third opinion if the two are night and day.

Thanks to you all for your continued love, support and prayers! Our family is riding on the wings of hope.

Here's a pic of SGB from today. We are obsessed with her.






8 comments:

  1. Carson attend is first ever week of VBS last week and the theme was TRUST GOD. I, too, know you can do this, and through Him ALL things are possible. You continue to be in our daily prayers. Thanks for the update. Big hugs and kisses to Miss SGB. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! Hugs right back to you and Carson. XO

      Delete
  2. Eeeck....must preview before posting!!!! Should have been "Carson attended his first ever week of VBS....." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What this means is that when a doctor finally gives you unfettered good news at the end of this process, it'll be something extra special. Like maybe they'll give you a margarita to go with it or something.

    Sending more good thoughts your way!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic, Neil! Thank you. I'll have a swirl, please. ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kim - I just talked to Jamie last night and she shared what has been going on in you life. Not being on FB I am behind. This might just make me sign up for FB a so that I can keep in better touch. You are in my thoughts. What a year or so it's been for you. Beautiful baby girl - congrats to you and Tad. Please know I am thinking about you and keeping my fingers crossed that you get good news soon.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy! So wonderful to hear from you! We are hopeful and trusting in God. Thanks for your note.

      Love,
      Kim

      Delete
  5. Reading through your posts Kim. Thanks for getting in touch with me. It's always helpful to see someone bust through doors the way you are. It's surprising to hear that 4, 5, or 6 places will read it as a level 2 scan...and then it turns out to be a level 3 mass. Cray cray. I'm going in to surgery next Tuesday and am finding strength in your wordpicturethoughts. Thank you <3 dana

    ReplyDelete