Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A good problem to have

The italicized portion of this post I began last Thursday. The rest is from today.

Finally I can say I have more radiation treatments behind me than ahead of me. Woo hoo!

I’m back on Keppra and feeling like my old self. Thank you, God! No more night terrors. Or wondering if I need to go to the emergency room because I feel heart-attacky.

Four weeks into radiation (only 2 more to go!) and I’m feeling very well.  A little bald in the front left quadrant of my head, but thankfully my bangs + a headband help me whip up a pretty convincing comb-over. I ordered a wig, but I only plan to wear it when this comb-over starts looking pathetic. Could be any day now. J

I’m insanely overwhelmed by those who are supporting Team Kim. My biggest stress currently is keeping up with thank you notes and correspondence. I’ve done a pitiful job, actually. You probably know this if you’ve sent a gift …

… or participated in any thoughtful gesture where a response of some kind would be appropriate. I’m so sorry. My reason isn’t an excuse but just an explanation:  I’m so inadequate at expressing the depths of my love/gratitude/well wishes on paper. That’s why I don’t like giving birthday or anniversary cards. I’m intimidated. For me, it’s like trying to describe a big juicy hug from someone you love so much. I could go on for pages and never feel satisfied that I captured it.

But, we have to do a lot of things in life that intimidate us. So I’m putting on my big girl pants and diving in head first. Thank you notes, here I come!

What a good "problem" to have. I’m so incredibly blessed by all of your love, prayers and support.

I treasure my blessings chain messages. Every one. I’d like to share part of one, from a dear friend, that I’m reminded of when I feel shaken.

“There are times when, without any anger in his heart, but with designs of love toward them, God treats his children outwardly, as if he were an enemy to them. See the gardener going up to that beautiful tree. He takes out a sharp knife, feels its edge to be sure that it is keen, and then he begins pruning it here, gashing it there, and making it bleed in another place, as if he were going to cut it all to pieces. Yet all that is not because he has any anger against the tree, but, on the contrary, because he greatly values it, and wishes it to bring forth more fruit than it has ever done. Do not think that God’s sharpest knife means death to his loved ones; it means more life, and richer fuller life.” – Charles Spurgeon
 
A special shout out to my dad. Hearing of my hair loss, he shaved his head in solidarity. Thanks Dad!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet of your dad. Thinking of you Kim and so inspired by your bravery and courage and grace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetheart!!!! Just another example of how...no matter what the age, there is a special love between a daddy and his baby girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete