Monday, October 8, 2012

Radiation - DONE!


Today I had the last of my radiation treatments. 30 treatments – DONE!

While I’m so glad to be done, I will miss the extraordinary staff at Emory Winship who treated me. Dr. Crocker, Greg, Tech who always asked about Sydney, Mark, Orica (aka “Exercise Angel”) – you all have left a profound mark on my head (smile), and on my heart. I’m blessed to have been cared for by you all.
Me and the fab rad tech Greg Corn.
He used to joke that if he was a girl,
his parents would've named him Candy.
 

Today I opened the last links of my blessings chain. How wonderful it was to see this artwork from my nephew Joel with the words, “U made it!”
 

To all of you who have been praying that my treatments would be gentle and that God would carry me, your prayers were answered. Thanks be to God! When giving me my completion papers today, Dr. Crocker told me that most of his patients don’t do as well as I did. Without a doubt, I know it was the prayers.

I started back at work (part-time) last week, and wow – what a warm reception I came in to! Hugs, flowers, cards, special notes, balloons, and food!  Thank you to my dear friends at EMA for making me feel so loved and supported.
Thanks to my friends at EMA, my office looks like a fall festival!
 
I love this! Thank you, Wally.
 

On Thursday we’re heading to NYC to mark something off of Mom’s bucket list: seeing Barbra Streisand in concert. I cannot wait to see Mom’s face -- alive with child-like excitement -- to see her favorite performer. We are going to have SO MUCH FUN!

Cue the Steve Winwood song, “Back In the High Life Again”.
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I can only think of one word after reading this post....Happiness. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to completely agree with Natalie!! Thank you for being such an awesome example for others, Kim. You have shown true Faith and Grace throughout this entire ordeal - what an amazing, strong woman you are and what an awesome family and group of friends you have. :)

    I have a prayer request for you and was wondering if you would help me with a little girl who just recently learned of your strength and courage in the last few days - please pray for Sara Lightsey. She is 9 years old and lives in Prattville. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor on Sept. 18 and spent her 9th birthday at Children's Hospital in BHM learing of her brain tumor. Her Mom wants to take her to Boston for a second opinion, but insurance won't cover it, so they are asking for prayers and donations so they can go ASAP. Surgery is an option, but they are afraid that if she survives the surgery, she has a 15 - 25% chance of never walking or talking again. You came up in our conversation today, only she did not know your name. God put all of us together today through an amazing series of events (that I must share with you over the phone when you have a chance to talk - ) Can you call me when you get a chance? 334-358-2722

    Kim, I think God is going to use you to help Sara and her family through their journey. Sara's tumor is deep in her cerebellum, next to the nuclei. It is a risky surgery, but miracles happen with prayers and faith - thank you for sharing your story with all of us. You don't know how deeply you have touched our lives and strengthened our faith in God. I wrote down your blog address for Sara's Mom (Candace), so they can read your story. Her facebook page is Prayers of Sara. Hugs to you Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete