Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Living Your Story

Dr. Weingart at Johns Hopkins confirmed my surgery for June 11th. As I booked my plane ticket for Baltimore yesterday, the reality of this situation hit me. I would be on an operating table in 14 days having major brain surgery.

Just 12 hours prior, our house had been full with family and the sounds of music, children and laughter. We were celebrating Memorial Day and just being together. But now things were quiet, except for the songs from an inspirational playlist my brother gave to me the night before. I listened to it over and over, and cried and cried. I know I’m going to be OK, but it felt good to cry. It felt good listening to each song and experiencing a burgeoning fullness in my heart that left no room in my chest for air. I was and continue to be overwhelmed by the acts of love and support that have been outpouring for me.

My surgery date has great significance. It’s my godson Joel’s 1-year baptism “birthday”. This time last year we were preparing for a beautiful celebration of life, family and God’s love. This year will be no different.

I’ll be in Baltimore Saturday June 9th through Wednesday June 20th. My family will be able to see me 30 min after surgery and my hospital stay will be 3-5 days. I’m staying in Baltimore longer because I choose to have Dr. Weingart remove my staples, which happens eight days after surgery.

So many of you have asked how you can help. It’s simple: please pray for my family. Pray that they are relieved from any worry or other burden that comes at this time. Please pray that June 11th will always be a day that we celebrate together.

As always, thanks for your support and prayers!
Kim

Here is a pic of my subway art birthday gift from Becky (love it!), and Mom & SGB from our Memorial Day celebration.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so inspired by you and your faith. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I'll definitely pray for you and your family. I'm here in Atlanta. If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know even if it's just running an errand or bringing over a meal. You're an amazing lady! mary kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you and your family Kim. I know it is scary to go through something like this and although my experience with breast cancer is not the same, I know that the fear of the unknown and the surgery is scary. But God is indeed good and prayer does wonderful things. You can get through this and continue to lead your wonderful life with your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, we're praying for you! And with such a positive attitude, you won't need it ;) We love you and will be thinking of you, rooting for you and waiting for you when you're back and good as new.

    Much love, girly!

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just KNOW that June 11th is going to become a perpetual day of celebration. But none the less, you will be in our CONSTANT prayers (actually, you already are). 'Love you!!

    ReplyDelete