Wednesday, May 23, 2012

We found our surgeon!

Our trip to Johns Hopkins on Tuesday was worthwhile! We'd read great things about the institution (#1 in Neurosurgery according to U.S. News) and heard great things about their Professor of Neurosurgery and Oncology, Dr. Jon Weingart. But meeting him was the real standout experience.

The docs we'd consulted with at Duke and Emory are highly capable and ridiculously experienced. But Weingart had that something special that told us, "This is our guy." He met and/or exceeded all of our criteria, and then some.

You may have read in my last post that we've been prepared for the "high risk" of temporary partial paralysis as a surgery after-effect. Weingart's methodology would greatly reduce that risk. What a relief to know that, if all goes well, I'll be able to hold my Sydney Greene Bean in whichever arm I choose!

Moments after our appointment at Johns Hopkins, we celebrated. We had an hour until my brother's return to Manhattan, and Mom & my flight back to Atlanta. We made every second of that hour count -- with yummy wine, tons of laughter, and surgery date selection.



Pending Dr. Weingart's availability, our goal is to schedule surgery for Monday morning, June 11th. We're just waiting to hear back from his office, but hopeful that's a real date.

We're so thankful to Tad's parents for making themselves available to come to Atlanta from Hot Springs, AR to care for Sydney and G Dog during my surgery and recovery in Baltimore.

I'm incredibly thankful to my family for dropping everything -- whenever necessary -- to be at my doctor's appointments or by my side. Collectively and individually they have missed several days of work and left their own responsiblities and interests behind to ensure that I get the best possible care and outcomes. I love you more than anything.

Hope and Joy! And a very Happy Birthday to my dear sister, Becky!
Kim

P.S. Recent pic of SGB.


3 comments:

  1. Wiping away the tears so I can type....GREAT NEWS!!!! I am so thrilled that you have found your surgeon and that you feel SO comfortable with him. We continue to pray for you nightly, and we WILL continue those prayers. Kiss that precious little lady of yours for me!! I hope to meet her in person someday soon. BIG HUGS from Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this update!!!! Good news. Prayers continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Roberts clan! Thoughts and prayers from the Kerski's continue!

    ReplyDelete