Saturday, May 19, 2012

Never thought I'd be blogging...

... especially about my own brain tumor. Even coming up with a title for this blog was daunting. But here we are. So for those who don't already know, here's how my diagnosis began:


June 2011: I started having episodes where I felt an overwhelming need to communicate, but there was no content to express. My family doctor referred me to a therapist for anxiety. I dismissed her advice knowing it wasn't anxiety, but hoped they'd just go away.

July 2011: Found out we were pregnant with our Sydney Greene, due in March 2012.

November 2011: The episodes increased in frequency from one a month to several a day. I didn't tell people about them because they were so hard to explain. And with Mom's breast cancer diagnosis in October, all of my attention was on her.

It was while we were in New York for Mom's lumpectomy that I had an episode in the hospital gift shop. My brother Richard asked me which balloons we should get for Mom, but I couldn't respond. The words just weren't there. Richard didn't notice anything unusual as these episodes were undetectable by others. However at dinner a few nights later, I told my mom and brother about what was going on. They encouraged me to see a neurologist ASAP.

December 5, 2011: Saw neurologist Dr. James Keily. He thought I was having seizures and scheduled an EEG and MRI (without contrast since I was prego). Told me I couldn't drive until I was 6 months "seizure-free" and prescribed an anti-seizure drug. I was devastated. No driving for six months?!? These were not seizures, I thought. I continued to drive and didn't fill the prescription. I was waiting to see what the EEG and MRI would tell us.

December 13, 2011: Had the EEG and MRI in the morning, expecting to return to work after the scans. Instead the radiologist sent me directly to Dr. Keily's office. The EEG was fine, but the MRI revealed a 4+ cm mass on my frontal left lobe. It wasn't clear what type of mass it was, but it appeared to be slow-growing. The location of the tumor explained my trouble with speech. But we'd have to wait to get more details in an MRI with contrast after the baby was born. Thankfully, the doctor didn't feel it was emergent to remove before the baby was born.

So for the next three months, we prayed like crazy that Sydney would be born healthy and without any effects from my medication, seizures, additional stress, etc.

March 19, 2012: Prayers answered! Sydney Greene Roberts was born healthy and without complications. God is so good!

April 18, 2012: Had MRI with contrast. Doctors at Peachtree Neurosurgery don't know for sure, but believe it is a low-grade glioma. They recommend surgery over a biopsy.

My family pours itself into helping me get surgery consults with three of the top neurosurgeons on the East Coast, while I avoid as much internet reading on my situation as I can. I'm a worrier by nature and this is scary, scary stuff. Praying is a much better use of my time than internet "dumpster diving" for glioma prognosis.

May 11, 2012: My first surgery consult is at Duke with Dr. Allan Friedman. He's done hundreds of glioma resections and gave me a lot of confidence that he'd do a superior job with my surgery. He mentioned some scary risks (temporary partial paralysis) but we left Duke with him at the top of the list.

May 15, 2012: My second surgery consult was at Emory with Dr. Jeffery Olson. He's also very capable and had many of the same responses to our questions as Friedman. Friedman has a slight edge at this point, however, just based on gut feeling.

We'll have our third (and hopefully final) consult in Baltimore on Tuesday May 22nd with Dr. Jon Weingart at Johns Hopkins. Our goal is to make a decision on the surgeon next week and schedule surgery as soon as possible (likely early to mid-June).

The recovery time for brain surgery like mine is approximately six weeks, so if our prayers are answered as we'd like for them to be, I'll be back at work in early August.

Thanks so much to my amazing family and friends for supporting me EVERY step of this journey! The prayers, cards, gifts, emails, calls, texts, and visits are appreciated beyond words. Please just forgive my delay in responses, thank you notes, etc as I'm easily overwhelmed with the new demands of motherhood.

I'll try to keep you all updated as long as I can, before handing the keyboard over to Tad for any post-op updates.

Love to you all,
Kim

P.S. Here's a recent pic of SGR.





14 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Good luck. And ask for help. You've got a great husband and family and friends. Depend on them when you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The anti-bot password I had to fill in for the pvs comment was Medgi McNorts. I think that is a VERY good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well for a new blogger, you certainly nailed it. Thanks for this post. As I've mentioned, you have been in our daily prayers and this just really helps in understanding your situation. You KNOW that you will continue to be in our prayers...Carson wouldn't have it any other way. I know that Texas is a bit of a jaunt away, but you better know that if you need ANYTHING, all you have to do is ask. Kiss that beautiful baby girl of yours and just remind her how lucky she is to have such an awesome mommy. We love you...and will be keeping up with your blog updates. Hugs!

    PS...I'll let you off the hook for slow communication, but I am going to continue pestering you about posting more pics of Miss Syndey. :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughts and prayers for you Kim. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, you are on my mind more than you may realize. You are so blessed to have a wonderful (and talented!) husband, an adorable daughter and what appears to be the most amazing collection of devoted friends and family I have ever seen. So glad you're blogging...I am inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,
    I have been enjoying all the baby activity on your FB page lately. Sydney is so adorble! I am upset to hear about your health. I am praying the tumor is slow growing and very receptive to chemo/radiation/surgery. You have always had poise, grace and stregnth of character. These will serve you well as you ride the American Health Care roller coaster.

    I don't know if you knew but I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease in 1999. PKD cause cells walls to have a weakness in them that leads to cysts in the abdominal organs, heart valve defects and brain aneurysm. The hundreds of cysts in the kidneys grow incredibly fast and turned my 8oz left kidney into 8 lbs of tumors. They removed it to give the right more room. It has failed and can be extremely painful because the cyst crush the kidney and other organs. I have been through 7 surgeries thus far and am still waiting for my kidney transplant.

    It totally changed my life and took me from one of the best Neonatal nurses in town to helpless patient going hosital to hospital seeking help. It was humbling to receive the care I gave others for years. I had to stop working and still struggle with losing control of my body. I imagine the Lord is still trying to teach me to give it all to him. Unfortunatly, I am a super type A planner, Martha Stewart perfectionist . I remain a work in progress.

    If you ever want to chat, vent or even rage about the tremendous stress you are under, I am here. I understand how it feels. I am still waiting for a kidney and at the rate it's going, I may need a new heart too. The aneurysm is a pulsing timebomb in my head. It can be overwhelming to say the least.

    Anyway that't more than enough about me. I just wanted you to know I understand some of what you are going through. It's nice to have someone besides your closest loved ones to talk with. My DH is great and my parents too but they worry so much about me that I don't want to burden them more. Or if you just want say hi and catch up that would be great too. You are so blessed to have that sweet baby Sydney. Focus your love and energy into her and we will focus our energy and prayers into you and those taking care of you!
    -Alicia Ammons Howell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim,
    I have been enjoying all the baby activity on your FB page lately. Sydney is so adorble! I am upset to hear about your health. I am praying the tumor is slow growing and very receptive to chemo/radiation/surgery. You have always had poise, grace and stregnth of character. These will serve you well as you ride the American Health Care roller coaster.

    I don't know if you knew but I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease in 1999. PKD cause cells walls to have a weakness in them that leads to cysts in the abdominal organs, heart valve defects and brain aneurysm. The hundreds of cysts in the kidneys grow incredibly fast and turned my 8oz left kidney into 8 lbs of tumors. They removed it to give the right more room. It has failed and can be extremely painful because the cyst crush the kidney and other organs. I have been through 7 surgeries thus far and am still waiting for my kidney transplant.

    It totally changed my life and took me from one of the best Neonatal nurses in town to helpless patient going hosital to hospital seeking help. It was humbling to receive the care I gave others for years. I had to stop working and still struggle with losing control of my body. I imagine the Lord is still trying to teach me to give it all to him. Unfortunatly, I am a super type A planner, Martha Stewart perfectionist . I remain a work in progress.

    If you ever want to chat, vent or even rage about the tremendous stress you are under, I am here. I understand how it feels. I am still waiting for a kidney and at the rate it's going, I may need a new heart too. The aneurysm is a pulsing timebomb in my head. It can be overwhelming to say the least.

    Anyway that't more than enough about me. I just wanted you to know I understand some of what you are going through. It's nice to have someone besides your closest loved ones to talk with. My DH is great and my parents too but they worry so much about me that I don't want to burden them more. Or if you just want say hi and catch up that would be great too. You are so blessed to have that sweet baby Sydney. Focus your love and energy into her and we will focus our energy and prayers into you and those taking care of you!
    -Alicia Ammons Howell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for starting this blog. I think about you so much and am always on the lookout for your fb updates. These entries help me understand better what you're going through, and feeling less in the dark helps me to worry less and focus on healing prayers. What a blessing that your little one is healthy and strong. And soon, you will be too.
    Sending you much love and continued prayers,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim, thank you so much for taking your very precious time to write this blog. You are always on my mind and first and foremost in my prayers. I miss you so much around here, and I am certainly not alone. Sydney is just absolutely precious and I can't wait to meet her! Your consults so far sound very promising and I hope the one on Tuesday goes well, too. Your gut will tell you what to do. We love you, Kim, and can't wait to see you soon. Love, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kim. You are very brave and you know you have many, many people praying for and supporting you! Thank you for sharing as you go along your journey. We will walk beside you every step of the way! We miss you and keep you in our prayers daily.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi sweetie, thank you for setting up the blog. Great idea (and great title). Hope the latest appointment went well. Love to you Tad, and the little green bean. We miss and love you. -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kim,
    So sorry to hear you're going through this but so happy your precious little one is happy and healthy. My thoughts are with you -- thinking of your delightful smile and bubbly personality. I'm sure you are in good hands. We love you!

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, so sorry you are having to go through this but I will absolutely keep you and your family in my prayers. God can do wonderful things. Your baby girl is precious btw.
    I just read your latest blog post too so it sounds like you will be in good hands!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for updating us all, Kim! I will be keeping you, Tad and sweet Sydney in my prayers. Just read this for the first time and really just don't know enough 4-letter words at this moment. Wishing I was more of a sailor. It is not surprising how much grace you are showing and I know you have just as much spit-fire fight to kick this thing in the you-know-what! I will be checking back often to read any and all updates you want to share. Heading to ATL late July and I'll check back to see if you are home and up for visitors at that time. It has been way too long! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete