Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Second Opinions


Hi Family & Friends!

Sorry for the long time between posts. We've been waiting for responses from doctors and we got one on Sunday.

Dr. Burger (neuropathologist at Johns Hopkins) confirmed the grade 3 diagnosis because of the presence of cells that were dividing. The official name of my tumor is a grade 3 anaplastic oligoastrocytoma.

I only know that because I got the pathology report in the mail today. There is a lot of gobbly-goop medical terminology in it that I don't understand. Who sends a medical report this critical without walking the person through it? I mean, I'm in advertising and we walk some of our clients through conference reports (notes of meetings that they were in)!

While Dr. Weingart supports our decision to get multiple opinions, he wants us meet with their nuero-oncologist and radio-oncologist to discuss possible treatments based on the grade 3 diagnosis. This was hard news to get. I don't know why, really. I trust God has me. And I'm fine now, but I was really hoping that Dr. Burger would hand us our next miracle.

That said, my cousin who works in neuropathology at UCSF (a renowned tumor center) is already working her magic to get a second opinion on my diagnosis and recommended treatment. We don't even have a first opinion on treatment from Hopkins yet. In this case, the second opinion may come before the first. (I'm so thankful for you, Gretchen!)

We don't expect the diagnosis to be different (though there's always a chance); but we're anxious to hear what the treatment recommendations will be.

In other, more beautiful news, Sydney will baptised on Saturday! We have family coming in from five states to celebrate our miracle of life. We are SO blessed!

God has been speaking to me, showing me that he has me. Here's a passage I read today from my Hopeful Heart book:

"On occasion, you will confront circumstances that trouble you to the very core of your soul. When you are afraid, trust in God. When you are worried, turn your concerns over to Him. When you are anxious, be still and listen for the quiet assurance of God's promises. And then, place your life in His hands. Trust the Shepard."

Love to you all,
Kim





2 comments:

  1. Seeing that precious top picture picture of Miss Sydney just makes me think....pure, sweet innocence! What a little blessing!!! You know, Kim, so often when I read you blog updates the thought that runs through my mind....God SO very much had a plan when he brought Sydney into your life right at this time. What better reason to stay positive, to fight, and to completely turn it over to Him than that precious baby girl! And, when you need it the most, what a sweet distraction she can be. This might sound hokey, but I think of you so often when taking and picking Carson up from preschool...we bought the CD of songs from his VBS this year. The theme was Trust God, and in one of the songs it repeats over and over "everything...is possible...everything...is possible with God". :-) :-) It is...and I feel comforted in knowing he has a special plan for you. Big hugs and much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, you know I've heard that from others taking their kids to VBS. The "Trust God" theme. It's so simple yet so powerful.

      Thank you for your kind words, Natalie! You are such a dear friend.

      Delete